Saturday, May 28, 2016

From the world of Teranga!

In Wolof, teranga translates easily to hospitality, but it connotes so much more, namely a spirit of friendship, acceptance, and community.  Not only have I experienced teranga in my first (long) day here in Dakar, but I am aware how much of it I have enjoyed this past year, from Mamadou Gueye-- my principal, friend, and the host for this trip to his homeland--but also from my network of friends, students, and family!  

Teranga: a pep talk from a friend, a moment when someone took time to mentor with love, a casual two-hour conversation with a student who has read something transformative, knowing students I adore are off to do great things next year, having a really wonderful year in my Africa and West * the World classes, a gift from a long-time friend to grow the Rwanda summer study, watching withJohn our four kids blossom into ever-more wonderful human beings, an unexpectedly beautiful mother's day gift from my wise daughter, laughter in the history department, a terrific and smart counselor, and, of course, the most loving life partner and parents a person could hope for in this world. Teranga!

If you get the link to this blog, I count you as a source of deep joy in my life, and I am grateful for you. There are likely better ways to share gratitude than subjecting people to a blog, but, to me, I place Africa at the center of my life....sharing it is the best way I know to share my joy and gratitude. So, I share it with you!  And, as I do, I am aware that, as is "THE WAY," Africa, for me, is my source of growth, both personal and professional.  And, thanks to all of you, a path emerges to balance this partnership with the bright continent, family, friendship, and self-empowerment.   I think it is not accidental that Haiti and Africa--and those who support my work in, and relationships to, these places--are the lights to which I return time and time again.  After all, the bright continent is the birthplace of community!

The pics below are from my first outing, slightly bleary-eyed, in central Dakar.  I managed to meet some priests, decline a marriage proposal, have a terrific conversation about prayer, and slip on some kittens feasting on shrimp carcasses in a busy market (when I say slipped, I mean white girl down!...perfect).

Dakar African Market, 5/28/16:












1 comment:

  1. I love experiencing your trips vicariously through your blogs. Thank you for opening up your journey to the rest of us! <3

    ReplyDelete